Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kennon's Birthday!!

Monday after work, K and I went to Shelby Farms to workout. He ran the Chickasaw Trail and I rode it twice and rode around Patriot Lake once. The wind was crazy bad! I was having to pedal my bike when I was going downhill. Argh! We got home and fired up the grill and I was excited to try a new little dish:
I used some wheat rolls and put some homegrown tomatoes, fresh basil and goat cheese on them and then heated them in the over for about 10 minutes. They were pure bliss! We also had hot legs, roasted brussel sprouts and some veggies and dip;

Everything was so fresh and delicious and satisfying. We didn't finish dinner until pretty late. We had time to catch up on Losing it with Jillian, then went to sleep.
Yesterday was K's birthday and I had to go to Nashville for the day for a meeting. I left bright and early so I could get back in plenty of time to celebrate with him. We stopped for lunch on the way back at the Loretta Lynn Cafe. It was quite the scenic place. The buffet was pretty damn good though. Perfect turnip greens, black eye peas and green beans. Not bad BBQ either.

After leaving there, I got us back to Memphis as fast as possible. I had to pick up K's bike from the shop and get it to him. He loved it and I was so glad. He had no clue I was getting him that. It was not something that could easily be wrapped so I stuck these balloons on it and called it a day.

Last year for K's birthday, I took him to Restaurant Iris. It was the first time that either of us had been and we could not have been more pleased with it so I decided to carry on the tradition of trying a nice restaurant the neither of us had been to before and picked Flight which is downtown.

Once again, we were not disappointed. This place was awesome for people like us that want a little bite of everything. They serve their wine, appys, soups, salads, entrees and desserts in servings of 3 little plates/glasses/bowls of different things. We loved it. I started off with a white wine flight the had 1 pinot grigio and 2 chardonnays. I'm usually not a huge chardonnay fan but there was one in this flight that was out of this world, so good even K liked it. Morgan "Metalico". It was super delish. It tasted like fresh and crisp green apples with a little bit of sweetness. I hope it isn't priced crazy in the liquor stores, I'd like to stock some at home. K had a maker's mark, unfortunately for him they did not have a bourbon flight. After that we had the soup flight (Seafood bisque, shrimp and crab gumbo and mushroom bisque) and the seafood appy flight (shrimp tempura, lobster tail, and crabcakes). As soon as we took a few tastes of these little dishes, we knew we had struck gold. It was delish. For dinner, K did a mix and match flight with sea bass, tenderloin filet and pheasant. I had the seafood flight which had scallops, spinach ravioli topped with lobster claw meat and shrimp and grits. The plates were so tee tiny that at first I worried that we wouldn't get enough to eat but it was plenty.
 
In fact it was so much that we didn't have any room for a dessert flight.....bummer! I was super happy with my decision to take K to Flight and I think he enjoyed himself too, at least it sure looks like he did!

After dinner, we went back to the abode and had a few cocktails on the front porch and watched the neighborhood and talked. This has become one of our favorite past times!
J called right before we went to bed. Some guy that has a TV program on the Outdoor Network came up to their camp and they were camping out. He has really been having a blast at camp but sounded like he was getting a little home sick on that call. I can't believe it! K and I went to bed after his call and were sleeping great until around 3:45am when the stupid damn barking dog next door woke us up. He kept on for about an hour and I finally got sick enough of him to call the cops. Don't know what happened with all of that but did get a phone call from K after he left for work this morning saying the dog was loose in the middle of Mendenhall again. I saw him when I left too so I called the animal shelter. I.m thinking they were able to find him because when I got home for lunch, I didn't see him anywhere in the neighborhood and he wasn't back in their yard. I really, really, really hope I don't have to be woken up by him again! I hated to call on him but he never gets any attention and is always running loose, it is probably better for him. I'm surprised he hasn't been hit by a car yet. I made me a tomato, avocado and chicken sandwich and some carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers and dip for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment