Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Weekend at home

Friday night, J, K, Mel, Chuck, Jackson and Drew went down to Autozone Park to catch the Redbirds playing the Nashville Sounds.

The weather was actually pretty comfortable and we had great seats.

The Redbirds gave us a great night of entertainment. They were down the whole game and came back from a score of 1-6 to win it in the 9th inning. It was awesome!! The kids had almost as much fun as the adults. We had dinner at the park which consisted of a few beers and hot dogs and a few bites of K's nachos that I insisted I did not want when he was ordering. I got a little hell over that ;)
Saturday morning, I took J to his dad to spend the night and finally made my way over to the Cooper Young Farmer's Market.

I picked up some organic potatoes and tomatoes, some chicken legs and chicken eggs, a basil and a rosemary plant and some fresh mint.

I can't wait to put it in some iced tea! After the farmer's market, I went home and did absolutely nothing.....and it was nice. K, Taco and Margo did nothing with me. Margo even tried to snag my lounging place!
K picked us up some lunch and we lounged all day in the living room, watching movies and napping. It was great. We ventured out later that night and went to Tsunami for dinner.

K and I got the calamari for an appy. I had my favorite sea bass on black Thai rice with a burre blanc and K had the seared spiced tuna. He was happy with his choice until he had a bite of mine. I wound up giving him close to half of it because he was so disappointed his wasn't as good as mine....I tried to tell him!
After dinner, we went home and hung out on the front porch having cocktails and watching the going ons of the neighborhood. We have 20 somethings across the street that act like 60 somethings and 60 somethings that act like 20 somethings. The 20 year olds acting 60 were lights out and asleep when we got home at 10pm and the 60 year olds acting 20 came rolling in on 2 wheels around midnight with a slight stumble in their step. We laughed so hard the whole night. I love hanging with my guy, it makes me so happy :)
I got up early Sunday morning and made us a big breaky of fried egg sammys with the fresh, organic eggs I bought at the Farmers Market and they were great. I spent the rest of the morning washing and packing J's clothes for his hunting and fishing camp and getting things ready for dinner that night. I decided to tackle a brisket for the 1st time and had been marinating it all night. I got it ready to go in the oven since I was cooking it on low all day while I was gone and got the dressing ready for the potato salad. I picked J up at 12:30 and we hit the road. We stopped in Jackson to have lunch at BYB. He was so excited about going to camp or having a good burger, not sure which one it was!

I tried the blackened chicken sandwich for the first time and loved it.

We got to Covenant Ranch around 3:30 and got J checked in and he was off to find the rest of the boys almost before I could get a hug in.
Here are a few pics of the "ranch".

I made the drive back home and pulled up to a sparkling house. K cleaned the gutters and pressure washed the house while I was gone. It looked great. I checked the brisket and things were not going as I had planned. It had been cooking for 6 hours at 200 degrees, wrapped in foil. Apparently it was not enough heat, the damn thing was hardly cooked at all so I knocked it on up to 350 for another hour and a half. It was decent. The marinade was a little salty and it wasn't as tender as I hoped for. Guess next time I try something new, I will look to a recipe for guidance instead of winging it.
J called right before we went to bed from his new cell phone I got him specifically to keep in touch while he was away. He was super excited about that too!

It was almost 10:30 and he was just returning from the snack bar eating a milky way and drinking a coke. He really is not going to want to come home! They were having a great time. They had already done some archery and the zip lines and their devotions. I'm so glad he's enjoying himself so much.
This morning, I made K and I a Reese's peanut butter cup smoothie for breakfast with peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, soy milk and flax seed. I ate a peach with mine. Lunch was a spicy tuna and shrimp bowl, some mac and chz and a chocolate chip cookie from Whole Foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment