Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

1st Day Traditions still going strong

I picked J up from school for our traditional first day of school activities. This was our 3rd year of doing this and Jackson came with us this year. We started with lunch at Uncle Lou's.
J and Jackson scarfed down a 3 piece meal with french fries and a biscuit.

They were all smiles the whole time. It wasn't in the mood for fried chicken so I decided to try one of their burgers and fried pickles. The burgers always look so delish and I'm always thinking I'm missing out on something delicious while I'm gnawing on a chicken bone but they look a lot better than they really are. You know a burger is like pizza and even a bad one is still good but it wasn't great. Nothing to worry about missing out on. The fried pickles were spears instead of slices, like I like, but the batter wasn't great.
After lunch, we were going to the zoo and the boys couldn't wait.

The temperature must have risen a good 20 degrees by the time we got to the zoo. It was scorching. We visited Cat Country, the bird house, the farm, the Africa section, Teton Trek, the komodos, the hippos and the boys went in the snake house (gag!!!!).

We also did some cooling off in the river and the geysers.

After the zoo, we dropped Jackson off and went home to go on another adventure.

We explored the greenway towards Shelby Farms for the first time. It was really nice. There were lots of bridges and raised paths running through the woods and going across rivers. We went past the training academy and turned around at Dovecrest. I would've liked to have gone farther but J's bike is too small for him and I figured it wasn't all that comfortable. Here are our stats:

As you can see, we were going at a pretty leisurely pace. J needs to work on getting out of his comfort zone and putting hard work into things. That will be a work in progress.
After we got home, I wanted a little more so I decided to do a mile jog. I can't believe how slow my running has gotten. It took me right at 12 minutes to run a mile and I was huffin and puffin too. It is very discouraging but I'm going to stick with it.

It can only get better, right?
I got through around 7:30ish so dinner needed to be quick. I threw a California Kitchen cheese pizza and an Amy's Spinach Florentine pizza into the oven and chopped up some salad fixings for us. Quick, easy and delish. After dinner, we watched Big Brother and it the hay. Not bad for the 1st day back to the grind.
This morning, I did a 45 minute elliptical/strength session which included 3 sets of 5 minutes on the elliptical and 10 minutes of strengthening. Breaky was something new! I toasted a banana nut vita top (this is the new) and mixed it up with some greek yogurt, almond butter and a little honey with a banana on the side. Very satisfying and filling :) I think the vita top alone will make a great dessert!


No comments:

Post a Comment