Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

15 Year Career Anniversary

Yesterday marked 15 years since I was hired by the Shelby County Sheriff's office and I was thinking how fast time has flown by and then I started thinking about even though the time seems to have passed so quickly, I have changed in so many ways since that day. Here is what I wrote about it:

15 years ago today, my life changed forever. I walked through the doors of the Sheriff’s Office Training Academy excited to be starting a career I had dreamed of forever while having no clue what that decision would make of me.

15 years ago today, I thought I had everything under control and knew exactly what I was doing, when in reality, I was just a kid looking for a little bit of excitement.

15 years ago today, I could only imagine the adrenaline rush I would get from a car chase, how good it would feel to lock up a monster or the unspoken bond I would form with my coworkers.

15 years ago today, I had no idea how hard I would have to fight to remember that no matter what I saw at work, there are still really good people in this world.

15 years ago today, it was hard for me to believe that a woman would let a man she just met abuse her daughter because she didn’t want him to leave her or that a man would kill his own brother over the last piece of chicken.

15 years ago today, I had never been to a friend’s funeral and now I look back and remember too many loved ones whose lives were taken by subhumans that would rather kill a police officer than go to jail.

15 years ago today, I had the highest respect for law enforcement and thought most of society felt the same way. I quickly realized I would be cussed out a lot more than thanked for the rest of my work days.

15 years ago today, I had no clue what it felt like to be completely hated because of the uniform I wore.

15 years ago today, I had yet to have some of the best laughs with some of the best people I have ever known.

15 years ago today, the strength and understanding that would be built in me because of my choice of a job was unimaginable.

15 years ago today, my skin wasn’t near as thick as it is now.

15 years ago today, I had no idea of the emotions that would wash over me after someone died in my arms or the helplessness I would feel when there was nothing I could do to protect a child from being abused because I didn’t have enough evidence to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt.

15 years ago today, I didn’t understand the lifelong battle I would face trying to hide the emotions this job causes.

15 years ago today, I thought a successful career would be determined by how many arrests I would make or how many times I would be promoted. 15 years later, I just want to know in my mind I have done everything I can to ensure the well being of the people I swore to protect.

15 years ago today, I did not realize the nightmares I would be unlocking.

15 years ago today began many changes in me. I have seen the darkest places, been to the lowest depths, and witnessed the most horrific events, yet I would not change any of it.

15 years ago today, I didn’t have much of a relationship with God. 15 years later would not have happened without the faith and understanding of a loving God and knowing that me and all the victims I have met over the years have a better place waiting on us.

15 years ago today, I thought tomorrow was a given.

15 years ago today, I did not know how important a grateful heart was.

15 years ago today, I had no idea I would be learning the lesson of a lifetime. When you live with tragedy every day, you have 2 choices of what to do with it. You can let it eat you alive, fall victim to it and let your world turn upside down or you can see the bright side of things at every given opportunity. I choose to count my blessings every single day for every wonderful thing in my life because 15 years of being a police officer has assured me that if I don’t appreciate it today, I may not have the opportunity tomorrow.

15 years ago today, I decided on a career and 15 years later, I can’t imagine where or who I would be without that decision.

15 years ago today, these words didn’t mean much to me but now I cannot find a better meaning for success:
To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment