Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Snow. Lots of Birthday celebrating. Cancelled birthday celebrations. Sick as a dog. More snow.

We had plans to go to dinner at Pete and Sam's last Thursday but more snow thwarted our plans. The snow started around midday and J was dismissed from school early so we grabbed stuff to make spaghetti and hunkered down in the warmth for the night. Friday was my birthday and I woke up to lots of snow and ice on the ground but I also had J and K giving me flowers and gifts, which was perfect!
J's dad came and picked him up early since he was out of school and that left K and I to lounge around all day doing nothing. I joined Netflix the day before so we did a lot of movie watching until that night. We had reszies at Restaurant Iris for my birthday. It is probably one of my favorite restaurants ever. The food is amazing but the service is great also and Chef Kelly seems like he really cares about giving everyone that walks through the door. This is the menu that we got:
We got there early to have a drink at the bar but they sat us immediately, they probably had some cancellations because of the weather. K and I ordered some drinks and just hung out for a little bit. When we finally got down to business, we started with the Boudin Bon Bons and for dinner, I had the surf and turf and K had the lamb shank. The lamb was new on the menu and it was fantastic. It was fork tender and had the best taste, served over something that looked like cous cous but tasted like cornbread dressing and it was all in a delicious roux. No room for dessert but needless to say, we were extra pleased. We called it an early night and went home and watched another movie.
I got up Saturday and went to visit Weezer and Mel at the hospital then went to Gould's for a massage. Later that afternoon, K and I met Mom, Roy, Sissy and John at the movies and saw True Grit. It was a pretty good movie, even though it was a western. The little girl that played in it did a great job. After the movie, we went to The Grove Grill for dinner.
K had the filet and I had a grouper special they were serving for the nightly special and then had a creme brulee birthday treat.

Everything tasted really, really good but it must have been really, really bad because I woke up around 4am Sunday morning as sick as a dog with diarrhea and vomiting and K woke up about an hour later with the same. It was miserable, so miserable that I cried a few times during the day. Late Sunday afternoon, we became concerned that we may be getting dehydrated but there was no way to leave the house to get anything with some electrolytes so Sissy saved the day and brought us over 2 gallons of Gatorade. Right before bedtime, I was able to eat a few saltine crackers. We woke up Monday morning in pretty much the same predicament. Around lunch, we were able to finally move from the bed to the couch so we got to watch some movies. Mom picked J up from school and took him birthday shopping and then brought him home. K and I were starving by this point and decided we had to eat something so we ordered some plain turkey sandwiches and finally got a real amount of food on our bellies. We woke up yesterday feeling a whole lot better but were still very weak and had a rumbling stomach. I swear, I think that may have been one of the sickest times I have ever had. AND I had to cancel my birthday brunch with the girls at Boscos on Sunday. No Bueno!
Mr. Yuck needs to be on the Grove's menu. We will never dine there again! We had the leftovers from our turkey sandwiches for lunch and then I took a nap, when I woke up, I felt great. The weather forecast was calling for more snow so I picked J up from school and ran to the grocery store. It felt so good to be out and it felt so good to actually be wanting food again. I got all the fixings for a Mexican feast.
We had beef and onion enchiladas....well turkey and onion actually since I used ground turkey instead of beef, salad and black bean and corn salsa. It was really, really, really good and I'm pretty sure I could have eaten the whole pan of enchiladas but was scared of what that much food would do to my stomach so I used some self control and just had the one.
I woke up before the alarm this morning and saw that the snow blizzard did not stick! I was able to get in an elliptical and stair climber workout before getting ready for work. I made it back to work and it felt wonderful to be out of the house! I took a 2.5 mile walk at lunch and stopped by the YMCA to take a tour and decide if I want to join. I'm pretty sure I will. I can go over on my lunch break and get some good workouts in. Lunch was another enchilada and now I'm waiting on 4:30 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment