Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Superbowl Sunday

Running a little behind on my posts.....Superbowl Sunday was 2 Sundays ago but is still fresh in my brain. I had a lot planned and knew I would be busy with it all day so J and I went to church Saturday night so I would have all day Sunday to do what I wanted to do for the game. I woke up Sunday around 7:30am and the very first news related thing I heard was the train that runs down Poplar had derailed right by the grocery store so I waited until J woke up to go to the store, knowing he would want to take a look at the train too.

It was craziness!! Part of the train was all the way on Poplar Avenue. After a few minutes of gawking, we made it to the store for our grocery spurge. As soon as we got home, I got to work, which was around 9:30 am and it literally took me the rest of the day to get everything done. I was finally sitting on the couch at 5:11pm to enjoy the game and the fruits of my labor.

This is what took all day long! We had a pot of gumbo, sweet and hot wings, jalapeno popper bites, rice dressing, deer/sausage balls, BLT dip and shrimp dip to keep our bellies full. There were a couple of things I made that I had never attempted before and may never attempt again!
Making the roux for the gumbo was one thing I have never done before. I was worried about burning it so I cooked it nice and slow and it. took. FOREVER!

From here on out, I will make sure to have instant roux on hands at all times!!!
Rice dressing was the other thing I attempted for the first time. K loves rice dressing and has been asking me to try to make it for a while but it takes a while to prep so I never got around to it until the marathon cooking day. This is the gravy that goes over it and it turned out pretty damn good. Now that I have made it and know I can do a decent job of it, I will attempt it again when I don't have all day.
Judging by the amount of food that I made, you would think we had an actual party but it was just me and the guys hanging out, eating and watching Eli kill the Pats. The guys were going for the Giants and I was for the pretty boy and I lost but we all won with the good time and good food but next time I cook this much, I will have to make sure we have more people to help us eat it. This was the fridge the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment